Friday 1 January 2010

Reflections
(Ugh, what a maudlin title)

Watching Jon and his friends - lawyers (to be), accountants, traders etc. - scoff potato chips by the fistful like a bunch of pre-pubescent boys just after we counted down to 2010 looks set to become a cherished memory, just about on par with the time B and I scarfed down leftover Bakerzin blueberry cheesecake with reckless abandon a little too late at night.

I didn't eat any potato chips, oh no! Which gave me a Pleasantly Virtuous And Smug Feeling.

I have also decided that peer pressure hits harder as you grow older, but there aren't any "Beware of Peer Pressure" talks for adults because that's like, you know, such a teenage thing to have to deal with? And we're like, all adults now, right?

The legal profession is an extremely humbling one. There are so many things to learn all the time, so many possibilities to consider. And contrary to popular belief, the majority of senior lawyers actually work really hard. So I'd appreciate it if you did away with the bad lawyer jokes and stereotypes in 2010. Not that The Pupil's going to be much help. Sometimes I wish Channel 5 would stop making such asses of u and me (there goes the "assume" joke, in case you didn't realise).

Awaiting the results of the Dawson ballot with bated breath! Please join Jon and myself in praying every night that we'll get a flat - and that N and J will too, so at least we can be sure of at least one set of lovely neighbours.

***
I leave you with a profound piece of literature to start the New Year:

"Ow!" cried Pooh. "You're hurting!"

"The fact is," said Rabbit, "you're stuck."

"It all comes," said Pooh crossly, "of not having front doors big enough."

"It all comes," said Rabbit sternly, "of eating too much. I thought at the time," said Rabbit, "only I didn't like to say anything," said Rabbit, "that one of us was eating too much," said Rabbit, "and I knew it wasn't me," he said.
- Winnie the Pooh, A.A. Milne

No comments: