Friday 14 November 2008

The Best is Yet to Be
As much as I want so badly to accept the other side of the story, including Mrs. Chan's implicit approval of Mr. Lynn not scolding the girls for the ragging there and then, there is just something so inherently mean and vindictive about what they did to that girl that continues to disturb me. Throwing a little food around is okay, especially on birthdays, just so long as you don't expect someone else to clean up after you. I've done it, we've done it. Our kids will probably do it. But tying somebody up, actually man-handling her in the process and then throwing food at her while she was defenceless crossed the line.

This shattered the last vestiges of school pride I had. I'm thoroughly ashamed to say I'm from ACJC now. Already I tried to dismiss the rich brat, party school stereotyping - I did have a good time in JC, and I learnt some of life's best lessons there.

So much for the best is yet to be, and Christian values. It's terribly disappointing.

I want to know why so little was said and done about it. Or why my brother, when I told him about it, said it's just a birthday prank, then pointed to the fact that Mr. Lynn was there. As if that made everything okay.

Furthermore, Singapore's entering a recession. Shouldn't they have at least thought about not wasting food?

Sometimes I think AC/MG kids are proud of the stereotyping they receive. I know I was, to some extent. But I know now that it's really not in the least cool, especially when you can't speak your mother tongue to save your life.

I just hope they all grow up and learn to have some sense of responsibility eventually.

How anyone could have ever thought that that would be a "fun" birthday prank is beyond me.

No comments: