Sunday 6 September 2009

Prawning
It's because I like eating prawns, and because I've seen photos and heard so many accounts of friends and acquaintances going prawning that I decided I'd like to try it. And as part of my 23rd birthday celebrations, at that. Even after D disabused me of the wonderful notion that people went prawning with nets.

Well, ok - what was I thinking, right? What would be the point of prawn farms offering you the chance to prawn, then?

Even so, yesterday afternoon, my head was filled with visions of prawns and prawns barbecuing in a row, ready to be peeled and eaten. I could smell them cooking, a lovely prawny smell tinged with barbecue smoke. And the taste of their legs! I love the taste of prawn legs (very weird, but I'm sure there are weird things YOU like to eat. Don't let's hear the pot calling the kettle black). And they're somewhat meaty-feeling in your mouth.

And of course, the sweet, sweet taste of fresh prawn meat, all fat and white and pinky orange.

Alas!

Prawning is barbaric, and also rather difficult. Ten prawns in just about 4 hours, with three rods and about 8 different people taking turns to have a go. There were many people, so maybe that accounted for it, and it was our first time after all (excuses, excuses).

But the results were tasty, and matched up to the visions I had.

And, as one of Jon's friends pointed out, the fact that I was squeamish about seeing them skewered and salted while they were still flipping about didn't stop me from eating them with a relish, a huge grin on my face.

With our rather small catch

I caught one and three-quarters on my own (Jon completed the last quarter of our first catch), and he caught two more, I think. I almost got a whopper one time, but he (she?) got away, with such force that my fishing line swung up and my hook got caught in the attap roof.

The uncle, when he came to help me release it, said 小姐虾在水里不是在上面 (Miss, the prawns are in the water, not up there).

At least I didn't drop the rod into the water, like You-Know-Who did. Sniggers.

We went to Hai Bin U Enterprise Prawn Fishing in Bishan, at 603 Sin Ming Avenue, next to the driving range. The zhi char was pretty good too.

And no, we did not order barbecued prawns.

***
In other news, my brother fell off his bike two days ago. He cannot walk properly, and he has puncture marks from his pedal on his left calf.

I couldn't stop laughing when he was describing it. Especially when he kept insisting, after that, that he had a sprained ankle (he didn't).

What a mean older sister I am.

But he's so huge, and he was kinda being a bit of a . . . (see my blog picture). You know?

No comments: