Sunday 21 June 2009

Neat Things
Jon and I attended the wedding dinner of one of our common friends over the weekend - she's his primary school classmate, and also my neighbour - and it was one of the neatest, most organised weddings I've ever attended. Just like what you would expect from two civil servants, and I don't mean that in a bad way at all.

Not that it wasn't sweet, and XY looked really pretty - again, in a very sensible, responsible, solid sort of way: if I were a guy I'd have lost no time in proposing to her either - but it was just so NEAT. That's the only word to describe it. The tables were thoughtfully assigned to the various groups of people present, Canon in D was the song of choice as the couple walked in, the dried ice went off at the right time and there wasn't too much smoke; the slide show was entertaining and the voice-over perfectly-timed, the speeches of the bride and groom sensitive and serious, with just the right hints of fun.

Just like a government run event!

But there is definitely something to be said for NEAT and ORGANISED and CIVIL SERVANTISH things.

The dinner was at The Regent, and the food was FANTASTIC.

You know how you usually don't eat everything at wedding dinners, because they always start late, and the food's usually too oily and MSG-laden. But Jon and I finished every single course. I gave him my beehoon, that was a tad too oily for me. But everything else tasted good, and light, and we didn't even feel jelat when we left!

I was Very Impressed. Not quite sure whether it's because The Regent just does good wedding dinners, or because XY and her husband made extra doubly sure that they would deliver a good meal. I'm inclined to think it was the latter though.

They do know how to select scholars. XY told us she and her husband organised everything themselves!

If Jon and I organise our wedding ourselves, we can promise you beer, prawns, barbecue (chicken wings!) and beehoon at our wedding dinner, which will be held at a chalet in the East.

Whereupon we will suffer the wrath of both sets of parents. And it is kind of fun to have a wedding dinner. Especially a neat one, with fabulous food.

They got a xinyao band for the night too. Jon and I were most pleased.

No comments: