Saturday 31 January 2009

Why West Is Best
(or Take That, Easties)
Today I discovered that one of the stalls in Bukit Timah Market sells two of my all-time favourite things in the same bowl: chin chow and canned fruit cocktail! It's $1.60, and the auntie gave me about twice as much fruit cocktail you would expect from the average dessert stall.

But that's not the best part. As I waited for her to scoop up the chin chow and twice-as-much fruit cocktail into a bowl, I noticed that she had a large plastic container filled to the brim with pandan leaves, tied together in neat bunches with rubber bands, which I couldn't help commenting on.

After telling me that she used it to flavour the sugar syrup, I gave her a You-Go-Auntie! clenched fist and told her that I would come back and buy soya milk and chin chow and the chin chow fruit cocktail dessert from her, because so many hawkers nowadays use fake pandan. All in impeccable Mandarin, of course. Cough, cough.

The stall is called All Natural No Preservative No Gypsum Fresh Soya Milk Drink Everyday For Good Health. It's located at the end of the row of stalls facing the carpark, you can see it when you come up the stairs.

I had a Very Exciting time just now! I was at the Giordano sale in Taka debating whether to buy a quite cool, quite ups and expensive looking stripey polo tee for Jon when Abi SMSed to tell me that the cast of The Little Nyonya was going to be at Suntec City at 3 p.m.! I was meeting Cherissa at 2:30 and she didn't want to go to Suntec, so after talking to her for an hour I actually spent 70 cents on an MRT ride to City Hall, and whilst walking Very Quickly towards Suntec I bumped into Abi who went all the way back there with me, Kindly bringing me to the stage where the cast was STILL gathered!

So Exciting!!!

Pity Qi Yuwu appeared to be filming in China. Really, he only looks nice in period get-up and it would have been nice to see him in person with pseudo Brycleemed hair.

There are some very blurred pictures on Abi's camera, we couldn't get past the masses still there, some 2 hours after they'd made their first appearance.

I also bought the polo tee for Jon. It was $26.40, and I told him he now had a cool stripey polo, how cool right - sadly, he's but one of many Singaporean males who own it.

I've joined the ranks of Heartlandom. Hooray!

No comments: