Monday 5 March 2007

my parents went to kl today. i made them sandwiches and put them in a paper bag with an apple, a pear, and some spread and crackers. i wanted to put in some tim tams too but i was afraid they'd melt because it was so hot this afternoon. i also wrote a post it and stuck it on the bag - it said, daddy please try not to antagonise mummy - and then i added in, "too much, because it's only natural that you will."

on sunday we went for lunch at this chicken rice place - good and famous chicken rice is always shockingly expensive, have you realised? boon tong kee isn't even that good, five star is better. this place was called - i can't remember, but it's next to L.E. pastry at rochor road (the pastry shop with the fantastic sugee cake and golf ball pineapple tarts which i haven't tried yet but i shall, some day. that's also where the tau huay is). so we're eating, and my dad looks at the black sauce and goes...

"this is very sweet."

i was like... dude, it's sweet sauce?

and at dinner i tell my mother that i don't like the black forest fantasy tim tams and that i'm going to restrict myself to ONE dark chocolate tim tam when THAT packet's open. i think they had a tim tam sale at ntuc over the weekend, my mum bought three packets. anyhow my brother looks at my mother and goes, "there's tim tam?"

my mother, being the witty person she is (or so she thinks), says, "yes, of course! i bought them in case of an emergency. you can only eat them if there's an emergency. i couldn't imagine my babies being without food when i was away!".

i also made tang yuan with my grandmother on sunday, i think i've learnt the secret to making good ones. we'll see, in time to come.

i realised today that many important people in my life are named jonathan. and many important people who were in my life are so named, too. if i'm not wrong it means gift from God? they all were, in their own way. i took out my old worship songbook today, it belonged to my ex cell-group leader when i was in sec 1/sec 2 and his name was jonathan and the person who gave it to him wrote him a note telling him she hoped he would be a blessing in rj. then there's lovely jon ong, and jon huang whom i think loves me simply because i love abi so much. i still remember him at fifteen...and we both agreed he was more dashing and attractive then. my girlfriends who encountered him would be all "oh he's such a man of God and he plays the guitar so well and he's badminton captain and he's just the perfect guy blah blah blah" and i'd look at them and go, "err, it's just jon? and he's a weirdo?" - he's not really a pastor's kid anymore, he's a pudgy kid. seven years it's been and i'm still praying the right girl will come into his life. my godbrother's name is jonathan, and jon chia made me laugh through most of jc. jonnifer, mei and i used to call him, because he used to act really gay with melvin in class. that's still his name in my phone, jonnifer with a <3 next to it. the first boy i ever had a real crush on was jonathan too. and it's so strange because he's now dating someone i knew from jc, in these english language speaking circles (okay fine the whole ac/rj circle) it's not uncommon. and of course now there's jon - just jon, really, i'm sorry but i'm going to have to call everyone by their chinese names soon (jon ong has the weirdest one of all, it's chungsiong and it's both the first sheng1). jon who fed me bak chor mee and made me see how good life was with it, once more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm not pudgy!

and thanks for praying.