Thursday 20 August 2009

Being Practical
I woke up this morning to the news that A*Mei has joined Jacky Cheung (and Da Mouth and sodagreen, whose music I have never heard) as one of the acts for the first day of F1 Rocks.

Tickets are $175 per day. Not that I'm going to be forking out more than $175, although a part of me is secretly tempted to go watch the Backstreet Boys with Abi, because she wants to, and just because, you know? Not that I was a big fan - my father thought they were trash and so refused to buy their CDs (good on him, now I don't have dusty BSB CDs to get rid of!) but there's something about the Backstreet Boys that's so secondary school; makes me feel all nostalgic.

You know what they say, once you start feeling OLD and NOSTALGIC it means you're not that old. So I better stop talking about things I don't know about.

Anyhow, September is Jon's and my birthday month, so we were debating whether we should go as a birthday treat. Our friends have, however, pointed out that we can go to both Jacky Cheung's and A*Mei's individual concerts when they come, for the same amount of money. Plus we'll feel so much more fulfilled after a good 3 hours or so of the best the Chinese Pop World can bring in terms of costumes and production. Can't say much for the sound system at the Singapore Indoor Stadium though.

We have no idea how long the sets at F1 Rocks are going to be, but there are four acts - you do the math.

There's also the fact that we have a tutorial until 7 p.m. that day so we'll have to go late. Fort Canning's opening up at 5 p.m. Not that A*Mei or Jacky Cheung will open, but I just feel like I've gotta get there early to make it worth my while.

It's the kiasu Singaporean in me coming out in full force.

We inquired at the SISTIC counter at Raffles City twice today, and we still haven't bought the tickets.

I doubt we will, because there's a blue dress in Chinatown calling out my name, I hear it everytime we go the Subordinate Courts for lessons.

But we'll see, we'll see. Wouldn't it be something to go. I'm just a bit worried she'll go all Amit on me. I'm not sure I'm prepared to embrace Amit, when discovering A*Mei for real was one of the best things that happened to me in Beijing.

I'm turning into my mother. I can hear her voice in the back of my head telling me she thinks the money would be better spent elsewhere.

You might just see us standing next to that huge cherry sculpture outside the National Museum, opposite Fort Canning, come 24 September 2009.

No comments: